Join us at the Maritime Museum of San Diego for a spectacular 4th of July!
Our Independence Day celebration includes some of the best fireworks viewing on San Diego Bay, and the chance to explore one of the most amazing collections of historic ships & exhibits anywhere, plus you can watch the fireworks from any one of our ships!
There are many ways to enjoy Independence Day at the Maritime Museum. Both the picnic dinner and fireworks cruise includes admission to the museum and our art exhibits.
- Picnic Dinner
- General Admission
- Californian Fireworks Cruise
- Historic Small Vessel Fireworks Viewing
4th of July Picnic Dinner
The observation deck of the Museum’s historic 1898 steam ferryboat Berkeley offers guests a spectacular view of the fireworks over San Diego Bay. A buffet dinner will be provided on the upper deck interior of the 1898 Victorian-era steam ferryboat Berkeley, and guests may choose from two sittings: 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. or 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Fireworks begin at 9:00 p.m. Prices for dinner tickets are $45 for adults, and $20 for children 12-3.
General Admission & Fireworks Viewing Tickets.
General Admission is good for the whole day to explore our ships and watch the fireworks.
Snacks and beverages will be available for purchase at the Maritime Coffee Cart, and we have a cash bar on the mooring platform located directly behind the Berkeley for those 21 and over.
For guests purchasing general admission tickets the day of July 4, several ships plus the mooring platform located directly behind the Berkeley will be open to view the fireworks show.
Museum hours for 4th of July, open 9am – close after the fireworks show (approx 9:45pm).
A special discounted admission of only $10.00 will begin at 8:00 p.m. for guests only wanting to watch the fireworks. Maritime Museum closes at 9:30 p.m. Tickets will be available on a walk-up basis at the Museum.
Fireworks Cruise aboard Californian
For those looking for a more exhilarating experience, the museum is offering a fireworks cruise aboard the schooner Californian. Passengers onboard will experience the awesome power of Californians six-pound deck guns as she joins the fireworks presentation with a rousing broadside.
- Tickets are $85.00 per person.
- Check-in ends at 6pm and returns after the fireworks show is over.
- Beer/Wine will be available for purchase on board for those 21 and over.
Returns after fireworks show approx 9:45pm
Enjoy a bay front cruise on one of the Museum’s smaller historic engine powered vessels.
Enjoy Fireworks from on the Bay!
A unique, fun 4th of July adventure awaits: bring a jacket, comfortable clothes, your camera, a friend or two and celebrate the 4th with us.
- Tickets are $35.00 per person.
- Check-in ends at 7:30pm and returns after the fireworks show is over (approx 9:45pm).
- Note: Smaller vessels do not have restroom facilities.
- If I buy a ticket to the 5pm dinner can I come back later to watch fireworks? Yes, at 8:30pm guests from the first dinner can come back up to the Berkeley McKinney deck
- Does my Picnic dinner price include admission to the museum? Yes it does.
- Can I arrive early and visit the museum? Yes, the check in table opens at 3pm so you can get your wristband and enjoy the museum before your dinner.
- Are there high chairs for babies? No, unfortunately we do not have high chairs.
- Can I bring in my own food or beverages? No, dinner and beverages are included with your Picnic dinner ticket price.
- What beverages are included with the dinner? Water and coffee are complimentary. There is a cash bar for sodas or alcohol.
- Is there alcohol available? Yes, alcohol is available for purchase at the dinner or out on the mooring platform behind the Berkeley ferryboat.
- Can I bring my own chairs to sit and watch the fireworks? No, we do not allow any outside chairs to be brought in.
- Can I visit the Picnic buffet more than once? No, your ticket allows you one trip to the buffet.
- Can I reserve a table for my family? No, tables hold 8 guests so you will be sharing a table with other families.
- Can I see the fireworks from the dining room? No, you really need to go outside to see the fireworks.
- Where can I go to see the fireworks? You are welcome on any of our ships that are open that day. Some may be closed for maintenance purposes.
- Can I visit the museum after the fireworks show? No, the fireworks are at 9pm and then all guests must exit the museum.
- Can I bring my food or drinks from the dinner outside to watch the fireworks? No, all food and beverages must remain in the dining area.
- Where can I find the menu of what will be served? The menu will be posted on our website weeks before the event.
- Are there any accommodations made for people with disabilities? We have a “lift” for guests who have difficulties with stairs, however, not all our ships are accessible.
- I do not have a printer for my email confirmation. No problem, we can confirm your reservation from your smart phone or picture ID.